Richards & Miller Doing Academic Writing: Editing
Richards, J. C. & Miller, S. K. (2005). Doing academic writing in education: Connecting the personal and the professional. New York: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Chapter 6: Editing
• Editing with Various Styles
• What Style of Editing is Best?
• Don't Worry about Memorizing Formal Rules
• We Edit for Our Readers
• Audience as an Important Factor
• Distinguishing Editing from Revising
o Others edit. Only the author can revise because revision includes altering the voice.
• Feeling Overwhelmed with the Editing Process
• Thinking the Editing Process is Easy
• Following a Systematic Editing Plan
• Having an Editing Mentor
• Enhancing Editing Skills Through Experience: John Barnitz
• Developing a Talent and a Finely Tuned Ear for Editing
• Writing for More than Conventions of Written Language
o Editing for Clarity
o Editing for Pace
o Editing for Correctness
• Knowing You are Finished Editing
• Identifying Editing Error Patterns