Santoyo Giving and Getting Feedback in Real Time
Babrick-Santoyo, P. (2013). Giving and getting feedback in real time. Phi Delta Kappan, 95(4), 72-73.
The author offers advice on giving feedback. He does not cite research to support these principles; he simply shares his opinion.
Principles for Giving Real Time Feedback:
- Level 1: Communicate nonverbally
- Level 2: When you must talk to the teacher, do it during independent practice and keep it short
- Level 3: When yo umust speak during the class, raise your hand
If you can't fix it now, save it for later.
- When the feedback is unrelated to the teacher's primary professional development goals, don't address it. That may distract him/her from her current goals.
- When the feedback is too unweidy for the teacher to tackle on the fly, let it go.
- When the feedback would derail the lesson you're observing, don't give it.